1/700 Tamiya IJN YAMATO

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
705CO

June 27th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Time for another battleship build, and this time it is the biggest battlewagon ever built--IJN YAMATO.
Yama-01.jpg
This series is really well done, and although this one seems to require a good deal more sanding than others, it is readily handled and the fit of the parts is quite awesome.

As I have done on past occasions, the plan is to complete and paint major assemblies and guns and then pull together at the end.
Yama-02.jpg
Yama-03.jpg
Yama-04.jpg
Yama-05.jpg
The hull and waterline were slightly sprung, but after attaching to a flat surface and baking at 180F for 20 minutes, they aligned quite well. The last section of forward deck will be another story....
"When I left you I was but a learner; now I am the master."
TK Iain

June 28th, 2020, 8:01 am

Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

I remember watching a brilliant documentary where an exploration team found (think it was the same team that found Titanic and Bismark) her wreckage. I think the Japanese Government requested her location be kept secret. Rightly or wrongly for her purpose in the war she still is a war grave. She was enormous though.

You have certainly peaked my interest and might try my hand at a ship sometime down the line..
Iain

I've Seen Things You People Would'nt Believe
Madhatter

June 29th, 2020, 6:33 am

I'll be watching this one as I have the Aoshima Yamato in 700th as well to build. Always like a good Yamato build!
705CO

June 29th, 2020, 11:28 pm

I just realized the avatar for the ships page is a Yamato!
705CO

July 7th, 2020, 12:52 am

Painting preps!
Many, many AA guns, the main battery (18" guns and turrets), and the hull prepped for painting.
Soooo many nooks and crannies, I prefer painting the major section separately before construction.

After painting the wooden decks those portions will be sealed before masking off the metal portions (and concrete decks aft).
Yama-08.jpg
Yama-09.jpg
Yama-07.jpg
Yama-06.jpg
starsiegeplayer

July 7th, 2020, 1:49 am

Looking good. I built the full hull Hasegawa version years ago.