Space 1999 Mark IX Hawk

Forum rules
Forum Rules For All Members: No posts of any kind containing offensive language or personal insults will be allowed. Also, no pictures depicting full nudity whether in a post or an individual members personal avatar are permitted. Spamming or multiple trolling posts by members in an offensive way are also not permitted. Violations of these basic guidelines will result in Admin taking action starting with a warning and up to a permanent ban from the community for repeat offending members.
starsiegeplayer

June 6th, 2020, 3:44 am

Done a penwash with MIG Cold Grey Wash. This is intended as a wash for "subjects in cold cloudy climates" but I find it is good for white sci-fi models.
hawk_penwash_1.jpg
starsiegeplayer

June 11th, 2020, 4:26 am

Weathering and glosscoat done. I'll be able to let this cure overnight and maybe start on the decaling tomorrow night or the day after.
weathering_and_clearcoat_1.jpg
TD1701

June 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Looks great and nice job on the weathering! Can't wait to see it with the decals applied.

Keep up the awesome work!

Tom
starsiegeplayer

June 24th, 2020, 12:12 am

A lot of decals on this model. All very accurate to the filming model.

Anyone who has built several Round 2 kits knows the decals can be good or bad. The decals in the Hawk are good. However, don't use water that is too hot when soaking these decals. It can make the corners of these curl up. I would microwave the bowl of water no more than 30 seconds before soaking one of these decals.
decals_complete_1.jpg
TK Iain

June 24th, 2020, 7:45 am

That is looking really good.
Iain

I've Seen Things You People Would'nt Believe
starsiegeplayer

June 26th, 2020, 6:53 pm

I'm at the point of putting together all the subassemblies. This is, honestly, one of the construction stages I have anxiety over because it's really easy to screw things up and hard to fix errors. This (highly accurate) Hawk model is even more concerning because of all the spindly bits. The constructors of the filming model used model kit lunar lander legs as shock absorbers and fuel lines, and they were already super fragile on the actual 31" filming model.

To try to avoid breaking these delicate spindly parts, I painted them on the sprue (which I still think was a good idea). However, i tried to scrape off the paint on the bonding surfaces after cutting the parts off the sprue, and I ended up breaking one :( I found the broken part (miraculous considering it was only a few millemeters long) and did my best to repair it, but it's a flaw on the model (as seen in the image below). Oh well.

After letting it sit overnight, I realized that I should be scraping off the paint on the bonding surfaces before removing the parts from the tree. That seems to work much better.
spindly_bits_1.jpg
starsiegeplayer

June 27th, 2020, 3:37 am

Well this is just wierd. With all the parts on this kit being so well engineered, I am kindof shocked to find the U-like fuel line is too long! :shock:

I have never heard this mentioned on any of the builds of this kit, so it comes as a complete surprise. It seems to fit fine on HPIguys and intersteller modeller's build. Lou Dalmaso mentions nothing but it almost looks like he cemented his fuel lines on the outside of the blocks and not the insides.
fuel_line_doesn't_fit_1.jpg
This is how it is supposed to fit: nice and flat.

I guess I'll trim the edges to make them fit.
starsiegeplayer

June 27th, 2020, 3:58 am

Well, I have two of these fuel line parts. The first came with the kit broken and i tried to repair it with brass tubing. The second is the replacement part from round 2 (the enamel paint on it is "dry" but not cured).

I took the dremel tool to the repaired part since no great loss if I screwed it up. Gently grinding down the edges until the tabs are almost gone results in a part that fits correctly.
fuel_line_doesn't_fit_4.jpg
fuel_line_doesn't_fit_3.jpg
fuel_line_doesn't_fit_2.jpg
I'll do the same to the replacement part tomorrow once the paint is cured.
starsiegeplayer

June 28th, 2020, 4:48 am

The last bloody piece. The last bloody piece.

The broken part arrived bent in the box but I had gently straightened it. It looked ok but it was weak, and when cutting out the last piece it sprung off into the carpet monster oblivion.

Have to put this thing away because I am just about to rage quit and smash the model.
ARGH.jpg
Oh, and round 2's website is down to boot!
starsiegeplayer

June 29th, 2020, 12:29 am

Amazing... somehow I managed to find the missing chunk, accidentally! :o
ARGH_oh_wait_thats_ok.jpg